Monday, July 23, 2012

Ride, Sally Ride


I met Sally Ride after she landed at Edwards AFB on STS-7. I was working for NASA that summer and as perk of my job, I got to follow her around the halls and pepper her with a million questions. And in my awkward and introverted ways, I took full advantage of that perk. 


Despite all the attention she was getting from the media - she was patient and forthright with me, and most of all understanding of what it was like to be a young girl who wasn't really sure what she wanted to do other than "something about the stars".

I sent her a thank you note and received this letter from her a week later. She changed the course of my life, and I am sure of many others.

Thank you, Dr. Sally K. Ride.

"... perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy." - author unknown

.
Share Some Grace:

blog comments powered by Disqus