Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The Great Maple Syrup Heist

cc image courtesy flickr.com/photos/57402879@N00/421611300
Every high value product has imitation and has black market. So we don't know how much is this black market. But of course those people they had a motive and they will probably find a market.  - Anne-Marie Granger Godbout, Director of the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers
Some of us take our maple syrup very seriously. I, for one, am very glad that Canada maintains a strategic maple syrup reserve. I just wish someone would watch it more closely.

In this episode of I Have To Tell You Something, Salome and I talk about the great Canadian maple syrup heist of 2012; you can guess the rest.


Why are we talking about a maple syrup heist? Mostly because it's one of those "news" stories that makes its way to you via your friends and shows up in odd places - for Salome a cooking-ish site (yes, really) and for me, my handy feed reader. Either way, it made the editorial calendar - or it would have if we kept one.

A few key episode notes in case you cannot bear to listen:

- It really was Lyndon Heart's birthday. We send him goodness and light.

- I don't think McMuffins have maple syrup "pumped into them", as Salome suggests but I do not dare challenge her McDonald's prowess on air.

- The (ahem) sharp edit edges are in fact a result of me losing patience with what Salome calls an unfortunate service interruption, and not any sort of expletive expunging.

- Finally, since this is an educational forum - make a mental note of this key trivia term: sugar bush.



Share Some Grace:

blog comments powered by Disqus